Thursday, June 17, 2021

The Notebook 11: His Advice

  Welcome to the Notebook series.  These are stories from my time abroad, each connected to one main take-away that I learned during those years.

Read the preceding Notebook posts here: INTRO // 1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7 // 8 // 9 // 10

This post contains the story for the insight: "Whatever we go through is not personal, not permanent, and has good in it," titled, "His Advice."

Reading time: 3 minutes

📓

HIS ADVICE


"Whatever we go through is not personal, not permanent, and has good in it"

Just a week ago, before the craziness came, my love and I went on a picnic by the riverside, to take advantage of the last day before lockdown.  We have a tradition of bringing a notebook and pen and writing each other questions/answers there.  We did this that day, and I wrote the question: "When I'm feeling anxiety in the future and I'm not with you, what would you want to tell me?"

He answered:

"Anxiety is impermanent, everyone experiences it.  Enjoy the present."

I was stunned by the perfection of this answer.  Now, looking at it, I see that it applies to anything we experience.  All things we go through will change.  We are never alone in our emotions, even when it really feels like it.  And above all, the solution: enjoy the now!  Anxiety especially requires a future.  Existing in the present alone leaves no room for anxiety.

Also, there is good in anything and everything.  Remember, j hunchha ramro ko lagi hunchha, whatever will be will be for good.

So many times already I have listened to and repeated his advice.  I shall keep it with me, just as I keep him with me, as I begin on this next chapter of life.

📓


WHAT I HAVE LEARNED

✅ 1. J hunchha ramro ko lagi hunchha (All that will be, will be for good)
✅ 2. Nothing is in our control except for how we respond
✅ 3. Plans are illusory - and can cloud your vision
✅ 4. The present moment is the only reality
✅ 5. Our minds create our lives
✅ 6. Everything and everyone are connected in more ways than we can ever understand
✅ 7. Compassion is the key to happiness
✅ 8. If we were in other people's shoes, we would be doing exactly what they are, because then we would be them
✅ 9. Everyone and everything are impermanent
✅ 10. True joy comes from inner wisdom, not from following what you think others want you to do
11. Whatever we go through is not personal, not permanent, and has good in it
12. Enjoy the present.  It is all that we have.


Stay tuned for the stories that accompany the last of these in the coming week.

So much love, from home.

📍

No comments:

Post a Comment