Friday, April 3, 2020

Nepal III: Quarantine Abroad

The world has gotten pretty crazy recently.  The effects of the coronavirus pandemic have stretched across the globe, and Nepal is certainly no exception.  Read on to learn how my experience has been, living in Nepal during one of the most extreme international events of our generation.

Reading time: 5 minutes



Some people may be surprised to learn that I have chosen to remain in Nepal for the duration of the COVID-19 outbreak.  In all actuality, there is nowhere I would rather be.  I feel much safer to stay in one place, and I am very fortunate to have somewhere that I am so happy, comfortable, and supported.  

The lake/mountain/jungle view from the balcony at my guesthouse makes me feel so peaceful.

I've been living in Pokhara, Nepal for most of 2020.  I have witnessed so much transformation in the town during this time.  Even though it was low season for my first couple of months here, the contrast between the streets then and the streets now is stark.  I did not realize how much I would miss people walking on the sidewalks, cars and motorbikes driving on the streets, restaurants and bars with live music being open, and even simple things like being able to walk into a convenience store to buy a chocolate bar.

The streets are empty now, and all shops are closed.

We have been on lockdown here for eleven days so far.  There have only been a few confirmed cases of the virus in Nepal, but they are being very proactive in disease prevention, which is really good considering the state of many other countries in the world.  It is unknown how much longer the lockdown will continue.  Lockdown here means:

No one is allowed to be outside, unless they are on their way to buy food.

This cow was permitted outside because he was on his way to purchase some necessary supplies.  Clearly.

Only essential establishments are allowed to be open.  This means a couple of pharmacies, a couple food shops, and discreet restaurants for take-out only.

My favorite cafe is only open for take-out for half of the day now.  I text my order to the owner, and it is my big outing of the day to walk the five minutes to go pick it up.

The police patrol the streets all day.  The police cars are quite feared as they go by; anyone out darts into an establishment if they can, any stores open pull down their shutters, and any people left on the street are sternly told through a megaphone to go home.

The only cars I regularly see, other than the police, are water delivery trucks.

Everyone is required to wear a mask if they do go outside.

Look at this happy face to abide by the law!

If unauthorized shops that are open do not pull down their shutters in time, the police instruct them to close immediately or they will be subject to a fine.

I miss the days when these shutters were up and people could openly run their businesses.  These days will return!

International flights ceased, travel between districts is forbidden, and international borders are closed.

The phone companies are really emphasizing safety and awareness by sending text messages with instructions on how to stop the spread of the virus, replacing their company name with "#Stayhome" on the top of everyone's phone screens, and substituting the ringing sound when someone makes a call to a voice message explaining how to stay safe and prevent coronavirus.

These say something like: wash your hands, use hand sanitizer, and stay 3 feet away from other people.  Notice the "#Stayhome" at the top of the screen.

Finally, a big positive: people are really coming together to support each other.  Nepal is a place where people are generally very family and community oriented anyway, but I see even greater efforts to band together and help everyone get through this.  I live in a tourist town, and most of us do not have access to kitchens to cook our own food.  The wonderful Nepali people are really taking care of us to make sure that no one goes hungry.  Although we are social distancing, people are really doing what they can to make each other feel loved and supported and not worried.  We will get through this together and be stronger for it.

I love my Nepali family so much!!  (Photo taken before serious lockdown.)

I am so happy I am here right now, and my family in the US agrees that this is the best place for me.  I have a really solid support system here in Pokhara.  I have made some dear friends that have taken me into their families as one of their own.  I never worry about food, and I have everything I need to be happy.

Here are some examples of my dinners!  Nepali dal bhat (lentils, rice, and curries), Japanese sushi and stir-fried vegetables (the family owns a Japanese restaurant!), and the best chow mein I've ever had (homemade noodles are heavenly).

My days are filled with art, reading, journalling, learning Nepali, playing card games, Netflix, website work, and video chats with friends and family abroad.  In the evenings I get dinner with my Nepali family and friends.  I do not feel lonely, and when I feel scared, my support networks put me at ease.

The balcony is the best spot for creating.  Art, writing, pyramid solitaire, and Alice in Wonderland have kept me busy.  Also, working on my art website - if you haven't seen it, check it out here!

These times are bizarre and unique, to say the least.  I hope everyone is holding up okay in your corners of the world.  I am sending so much love and well wishes to you!

I'll be here!  Shoot me a message any time if you want to talk.

Until next time, many social-distanced hugs and kisses to you all from Nepal.

🇳🇵

1 comment: