Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Thai Snacks TASTE TEST: Reviewing Thai Food Goodies!!

One of my favorite things about traveling to (and living in) new places is trying the variety of different local foods.  This, of course, extends to the snacks!   The other day, I decided that it would be fun to pick up every Thai snack that I had not tried that looked interesting to me, in order to do a taste test blog post for you all.  So, get your tastebuds ready to join me for my grand Thai snack review! 


((( Full disclosure: I actually did this before school started for the term; the blog post has been sitting as a finished draft for weeks now.  I got very sick and was not in the mood to post it, but I am better now and decided what the heck, put it up!  I'll write a post about my illness soon... rest assured, I am okay now!! )))

I purchased over 30 snacks, for a grand total of $15 USD.  They came from Tesco Lotus and 7-Eleven, the two main stores I see across Thailand.  See photos and reviews for the yummy goodies below!

*NOTE: I broke the post into "sweets" and "savory" snacks.  I tried way more sweet than savory because I am a sweet-fiend!  Scroll down to skip to savory.*

First up...

SWEETS



Lotte Koalas
Rating: /10
Description: Chocolate cream filled crunchy cookies printed with koala designs.
Notes: YUM, wow!!!  These have a surprisingly rich and creamy chocolate center, and the biscuit is nice and crunchy.  These are so cute!  EACH one has a different design.  Majorly enjoyable, both for flavor and for creativity!





Milk Tea Flavor Kit Kat
Rating: /10
Description: Wafer coated in milk tea and chocolate flavors.
Notes: This was definitely the most interesting kit kat I have ever tried!  The texture is like a conventional kit kat, but the flavor combination is very different.  The bottom layer is chocolate, but the coating on top is flavored like Thai milk tea!  They actually did a very good job of mimicking the Thai tea flavor.  The resulting taste was good, but not my favorite.  Points for being unique, though, for sure!



Euro Choco Pie
Rating: /10
Description: Snack pie consisting of a "European style" cake with chocolate cream filling, all dipped in chocolate.
Notes: Cake is light and soft.  Chocolate flavor is nice, fairly mild, and deliciously creamy.  Cake itself is kind of dry, but the pie overall is pleasant.


Jack'n'Jill Rich Chocolate Wafer Sandwich
Rating: /10
Description: Chocolate cream filled with crisped rice, sandwiched between thin wafers.
Notes: This is more enjoyable than I expected!  Light and crunchy, with a surprisingly strong chocolate flavor.  The crispy rice in the middle is delightful.  The less flavorful cookie balances the rich filling well.


Cookies and Cream Bon o Bon
Rating: /10
Description: Bonbon with cream flavored filling, cookie bits, and wafer, dipped in chocolate.
Notes: This is delicious!  Sweet, great cookies and cream taste, soft, creamy, and perfect size.  I historically haven't been a huge "cookies and cream" fan, but I love this.


Jack'n'Jill Combo Bar
Rating: /10
Description: Layers of plain wafer, chocolate cream, chocolate rice crispies, and caramel, all dipped in chocolate.
Notes: I really, really like this one!  The flavor combination is wonderful; caramel, chocolate, and crispies balance each other well.  Light texture.  I am a fan!



Cream-O Choco Plus Cookies
Rating: /10
Description: Shortbread cookie with layered filling of chocolate and caramel.
Notes: Caramel center is chewy and nice.  Cookie has classic shortbread taste.  Chocolate and caramel flavors are not very strong, and cookie is dry, so not my favorite.



Top Triple Choc Bar
Rating: /10
Description: Three layers of alternating chocolate cream and chocolate wafers, dipped in puffed rice crispies and chocolate.
Notes: Nice layers and crunch.  Rice crispies on outside make for an interesting and pleasurable overall texture.  Chocolate tastes pretty milky, not as strong as expected for "triple chocolate" flavor.  Quite good!


Top Strawberry Bar
Rating: /10
Description: Three layers of alternating strawberry cream and plain wafers, dipped in puffed rice crispies and chocolate.
Notes: Not my favorite... overwhelming artificial strawberry flavor.  I would definitely choose the triple chocolate version over this one, but I am generally not a huge fan of strawberry flavored candy of this sort anyway.


Pandan Flavor Euro Cake
Rating: /10
Description: European style cake with pandan custard filling.
Notes: Euro cake is soft and fluffy.  I do like the pandan flavor, but the cake part is kind of bland.  Not my favorite thing overall.




Milo Choco Bar
Rating: /10
Description: Chocolate bar with tiny rice crisps inside.
Notes: The chocolate taste of this bar is pretty phenomenal in my opinion - especially because it says on the bar, "chocolate flavored," meaning that it's not actual chocolate!  I would not have thought this isn't real chocolate, it tastes so good.  Tiny crisps inside make texture interesting, yet still creamy.


Cream-O Green Tea Flavor Soft Cookies
Rating: /10
Description: Green tea flavored cookies with chocolate cream filling.
Notes: I do not enjoy this one.  The green tea and chocolate flavor combination is a bit strange to me.  Cookie is kind of soft, but kind of crumbly.  I would not prefer to eat this again...


Cream-O Red Velvet Flavor Gold Cookies
Rating: /10
Description: Red velvet flavor cookies with cream cheese flavor filling, dipped in white chocolate.
Notes: Nice texture and yummy white chocolate dip, but don't like the red velvet flavor of the cookie.  I'm not keen on red velvet in general; I think a red velvet fan would really enjoy this one.


Ovaltine Chocolate Malt Cookie
Rating: /10
Description: Chocolate sandwich cookies with malt flavor filling.
Notes: Pretty lacking in flavor, like a watered down chocolate taste.  Maybe this is just the nature of malt?  Not great, not horrible.


Hazelnut Kit Kat
Rating: /10
Description: Wafer in milk chocolate with hazelnut cream.
Notes: This is a quite nice variation on a Kit Kat.  Reminds me of Ferrero Rocher and Nutella.  Very strong hazelnut flavor, creamy!  I don't prefer this over a traditional Kit Kat, but it is definitely enjoyable.


Cookies and Cream Kit Kat
Rating: /10
Description: Wafer in milk chocolate with cookies and cream.
Notes: love this one!  Again, I never used to be a fan of cookies and cream, but this is just downright delicious.  Tastes like an Oreo and a Kit Kat had a baby.  Nice crispy texture but just creamy enough.  Ideal balance of chocolate and cookies and cream taste.  I'm not sure if they have this outside of Thailand, but if you find it, definitely give it a try!


Euro Rice Cracker Filled with Custard Cream
Rating: /10
Description: Puffed rice cracker with a custard cream center.
Notes: Custard cream has nice flavor.  Cracker is a kind of strange combination of crunchy and soft.  Not bad, not my favorite.


Sakura Flavor Pocky
Rating: /10
Description: Tradional crunchy pocky stick dipped in pink sakura flavor cream.
Notes: Pocky texture is always nice, normal cookie center is enjoyable.  Sakura flavor is kind of floral, kind of like strawberry, but not my thing.  Fans of more floral flavors would be into this.



Kinder Bueno
Rating: /10
Description: Chocolate bar with hazelnut milk cream and crunchy wafer.
Notes: Nice, reminds me of a Ferrero Rocher, but without actual hazelnuts inside.  Hazelnut flavored cream inside slightly crispy wafer balances chocolate well.


Beng-Beng White
Rating: /10
Description: Layers of cream and wafer coated in white chocolate and dipped in coconut.
Notes: This one is so good!!  Nice wafer crunch, really perfect coconut texture on the outside.  I especially like this one because I had seen it in the store for a long time and did not realize that it is coconut.  Delicious!


Beng-Beng Original
Rating: /10
Description: Cream and wafer layers surrounded by caramel, chocolate, and rice crispies.
Notes: I must be honest, this is the only snack I chose that I have eaten before.  I love the original beng-beng!  The caramel makes it chewy, the wafer makes it crunchy, the white cream is really tasty, the rice crispies make the texture so nice, and the coating adds a perfect little chocolate flavor.  Classic and delicious!  Highly recommended.  Definitely try this one if you visit Thailand!



Quanta Break Supa
Rating: 10 /10 (!!)
Description: Crunchy wafer fingers in soft caramel and creamy milk chocolate.
Notes: This is YUMMY!!  Chewy and soft caramel, soft chocolate, crunchy wafer, just simply perfect.  I would liken it to a Milky Way, but with a light crunch, and easier to eat because less thick caramel.  Such a perfect taste.  I truly adore this one... Wow.  Highest rating of the sweets!!


On to...

SAVORY


Hot Chili Squid Flavor Lays
Rating: /10 (!) (I am as surprised by this as you!)
Description: Ruffled Lays brand chips, "hot chili squid" flavor.
Notes: I was not expecting to like these, but they are surprisingly delicious!  Great level of spicy, not so much that it overpowers the nice light squid/seafood flavor.  I love the ruffled texture!  These are quite addicting.  Don't knock 'em until you try 'em!



Purple Sweet Potato Flavor Coated Peanuts
Rating: /10
Description: Peanuts coated in crunchy purple sweet potato flavoring.
Notes: Nice crunch and good peanut inside.  Not a very strong flavor.  Would be better if saltier.


Cal Cheese Cheese Wafer
Rating: /10
Description: Layers of plain wafers with cheese flavor.
Notes: Cheese flavor kind of nice, a little bit fake.  Light and airy texture.  Heavy on the wafer part.  Not my jam, but not bad.


Spicy Squid Sauce Flavor Bento Seafood Snack
Rating: /10
Description: Dried seafood strips, "spicy squid sauce" flavor.
Notes: This is so yummy!  Very spicy, nice squid flavor, perfect dried seafood strip texture.  Addictive, and SPICY!


Korean Seaweed Flavor Taro Fish Snack
Rating: /10
Description: Dried fish strips, "Korean seaweed" flavor.
Notes: These are very good.  Perfect dried fish strip texture, a balance of dry and chewy.  Not as strong of a flavor as the spicy squid sauce ones above, but yummy!


Original Flavor Masita Seaweed
Rating: /10
Description: Masita brand seaweed snack, original flavor.
Notes: Nice seaweed texture.  Disappointed because pretty much no flavor!  Would be much better if salted.


Spicy Flavor Masita Seaweed
Rating: /10
Description: Masita brand seaweed snack, spicy flavor.
Notes: Nice seaweed texture, but again, no flavor!!  Even more disappointed because supposed to be spicy... mildly spicy maybe, but not really.  Bummer.


Original Flavor Hanami Prawn Crackers
Rating: /10
Description: Hanami brand prawn crackers, original flavor.
Notes: Nice light, crunchy texture.  Very strong seafood smell, but do not taste like much.  Smell makes me not enjoy.


Nori Seaweed Flavor Hanami Prawn Crackers
Rating: /10
Description: Hanami brand prawn crackers, nori seaweed flavor.
Notes: Seaweed flavor makes these leaps and bounds yummier than the original flavor!  Smell still isn't super pleasant, but the taste definitely makes up for it.  These are addictive; I had a hard time stopping eating these!

Last but not least, my FAVORITE snack that I tried:



Crispy Banana with Tamarind
Rating: 10 /10
Description: Banana chip sandwiches with tamarind filling.
Notes: YUM!  The banana chips are crunchy and kind of salty, and the tamarind center is chewy and sweet.  Delicious combination!  These blow me away.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND!


Grand totals / overview...

SWEETS:

Rating // Snack
4 : Top Strawberry Bar, Cream-O Green Tea Cookies (2)
5 : Cream-O Choco Plus Cookies, Cream-O Gold Red Velvet Cookies, Ovaltine Chocolate Malt Cookie (3)
6 : Euro Choco Pie, Pandan Euro Cake, Euro Custard Filled Rice Cracker, Sakura Pocky (4)
7 : Milk Tea Kit Kat, Jack'n'Jill Rich Chocolate Wafer Sandwich, Top Triple Choc Bar, Hazelnut Kit Kat, Kinder Bueno (5)
8 : Jack'n'Jill Combo Bar, White Beng-Beng, Milo Choco Bar (3)
9 : Lotte Koalas, Cookies and Cream Bon o Bon, Cookies and Cream Kit Kat, Original Beng-Beng (4)
10 : Quanta Break Supa (1)


SAVORY:

3 : Spicy Masita Seaweed (1)
4 : Original Masita Seaweed (1)
5 : Cal Cheese Cheese Wafer, Original Hanami Prawn Crackers (2)
6 : Purple Sweet Potato Flavor Coated Peanuts (1)
7 : Korean Seaweed Flavor Taro Fish Snack (1)
8 : Spicy Squid Sauce Flavor Bento Seafood Snack, Nori Seaweed Flavor Hanami Prawn Crackers (2)
9 : Hot Chili Squid Flavor Lays (1)
10 : Crispy Banana with Tamarind (1)

***

This brings us to the end of the great Thai snack review!!  I rarely eat packaged goodies like these, so it was a treat to get to try so many and find some snacks I really enjoy.  If you made it this far, I am amazed!  I hope you enjoyed trying some delicious Thai snacks with me.

See you next time!

🍬

No comments:

Post a Comment