Saturday, December 1, 2018

Thai Festivals: Chinese Opera and Loy Krathang

Thailand is a new and rich cultural wonderland for this California born-and-raised adventurer.  This post documents my experience of two fascinating Thai festivals: a Chinese opera and Loy Krathang.


About a week and a half after moving to Nong Khai, Thailand, I heard a commotion down my street after school one day.  I wandered down a couple of blocks to find a Chinese opera festival unfolding, basically right in my own backyard.


There was a huge dragon puppet, held by so many people, parading down the road.  (Apologies that I did not get a better photo of it; I was so in awe at first that I forgot cameras existed.  Isn't that the best way to experience something, though?)


Then, firecrackers began to go off, deafening me and the onlookers around me.


Smoke filled the air around the offerings of dumplings, incense, and lit candles.


Next, in filed the drummers, dancers, and costumed opera performers.


Music and dance overtook the street for the next fifteen minutes.


Finally, the performers ran off, and signs were marched down the street to commemorate the event.


I must inform you now that I was so confused by all of this.  I asked someone near me if this was a holiday, and she laughed and said no.  It was not until two weeks after this that I figured out what it was, by asking my teacher friend... though, I am still a fair amount confused.  Haha!

Below is a compilation of the videos I took of this awesome event.  I hope you enjoy!



Loy Krathang

On November 22, 2561 (2018), the annual Thai holiday of Loy Krathang took place.  This holiday falls on the full moon of the twelfth month of the lunar year.
*Note: in Thailand, they use two calendars: the solar calendar, based on the Gregorian calendar (in which it is year 2018 of the Common Era), and the lunar calendar, a Buddhist calendar (in which it is year 2561 of the Buddhist Era).*



The term "loy" means "to offer,"/"to float," and "krathang" is a buoyant banana leaf basket that is traditionally floated down the river with lit candle and incense.  The holiday is meant to honor the Goddess of the Water, Phra Mae Khongkha, and the Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama.


My wonderful fellow teachers and friends brought me to the Loy Krathang festival!  Teacher Pui is next to me, and Teacher Bum-Bim is behind me.


Before floating our krathangs down the river, we had to capitalize on the photo opportunity.  The Thai people I have come across generally love taking photos!



Teacher Bum-Bim, me, Teacher Pui, and Pui's sister, Aoi.



A couple of photos from Pui's phone.



We ran into one of my favorite students, Oshi!  He is a P6 (6th grader), and he always gives me a high-five when I see him.  I love this cutie!



We then met up with some of Pui and Aoi's friends, Tew and Baht.  We headed to the river together to float our krathangs, in line with the tradition of the holiday.


The river, the Mekong, is the border between Thailand and Laos.  Many krathangs were floated down this river that night.


The tradition is to set an intention/make a wish as you light your krathong and send it out as an offering.  Practicing setting my intention...


Down by the water and ready to float.


Pui and I setting our intentions and offering our krathangs to the river.  Happy Loy Krathang!


I took a muddy step a little too close to the water... hehe!



Awesome, huge dragon krathang under the full moon.


I got to meat Teacher Pui's mom!  She is the one two to my right.  Aren't all of these women beautiful in their traditional garb?


After floating our krathangs, it was time to enjoy some entertainment and have some food!


A couple of dressed-up performers on an ornate stage, featuring our favorite dragon-snake motif.


Fooood!  Skewers of spicy squid and meat with vegetables, sticky rice cakes, fried potato cheese balls, white noodles, very spicy and delicious vegetable/shrimp noodles, and little sweet coconut cakes.


Finally, on our way out of the festival, we saw a huge stage with a crowd of onlookers thoroughly enjoying a show!



Every performer in this show was a ladyboy!  They were dressed to the nines, dancing in perfect synchrony.  It was so fun to watch!


Such a cool sight to top off the night.

To cap off the post, here is a video compilation of my night!  Happy, happy Loy Krathang.



Thank you so much for reading!  I hope you enjoyed a look into the two Thai festivals I have witnessed, the Chinese Opera and Loy Krathang.  May you all be well!  Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment